Tuesday 16 May 2017

16 May 2017, Porth Reservoir (White Acres)

Day two of the 2017 Guru festival today and it was time for another trip to a venue that has become something of a nemesis, Porth Reservoir! (On my first visit I actually managed a section win and on my second match there I came third in section – since then (3 matches) I’ve been stuck in the bottom three!!!)
  
Looking towards the dam wall
  
  
  
Rightly or wrongly (probably wrongly) I went for a rod and line only approach today – two feeder rods (long and short) and a waggler, leaving the pole in the bag.
  
My ‘spod’ mix
  
On the all-in I placed approximately one pint of corn and one pint of 6mm pellets on my 60m line via a 35mm diameter Kevin Leach extreme distance feeder and had a go on the short (20m) feeder line. This actually went quite well and inside 30 minutes I put a good pound of small skimmers and roach in the net.
  
Big Bertha was brought into action today!
  
Just as I was thinking that I could ignore the long line and catch double-figures of small fish on the short line it died so I was forced into an early look long. Nothing came of this so after 15 minutes or so it was back short where I managed to eek out a few more small fish but it was really slow – the waggler didn’t work either!
  
Gear for the long range feeder set-up
  
Basically I spent the remainder of the match swapping between the short and long feeder lines until the last hour where I stuck with the long line only. Unfortunately I didn’t get a bream on the long line, though quite a few where caught in the section on the pole, the tactic I’d chosen to ignore!!!
  
Looking slightly left
  
In the end my bag of small fish went a poultry 1-15-0, yet again seventh in section (3 points) – so far I’ve amassed a lowly 6 points from two matches and as a result I’m sitting in one hundred and forty-second (142nd) place out of 180 – I really must try harder!!!
  
Until next time ...
  
  

No comments:

Post a Comment