Thursday 11 May 2017

11 May 2017, Acorn (White Acres)

Day four of the 2017 Milo festival today meaning our destination would be either Trewaters, Jenny’s or Acorn – Acorn was a last minute inclusion as the low numbered section of Jenny’s that is normally included is currently out of action as there is construction work going on between the tackle shop and Jenny’s.
  
Looking across to pegs 1 and 19
  
Personally I was looking for a flyer on Trewaters but wasn’t too displeased to draw number 3 on Acorn – Paul Holland had bombed-out from this peg earlier in the week but since then the wind has turned around and today there was a nice breeze blowing into pegs 1 and 2, something that I hoped would be in my favour as the fish certainly follow the wind on this lake.
  
The view to the right
  
White Acres regulars will remember that peg 3 on Acorn used to have a massive goarse bush overhanging the left margin – on the right day this used to be a real magnet for the lake’s carp, but was cut right back a few years ago. However it has started to grow back and whilst it isn’t back to its former glory it is starting to provide a nice feature. The central island is another nice feature but is just out of range on the pole given the 16m limit, though if and when the wind dropped I planned to have a go out it with a long lining swinger rig.
  
I started the match fishing with hard pellets on the shelf at top kit plus 4 to the left – this seems like a funny place to fish but I thought it was worth having a go towards the bay formed by the vacant pegs 1 and 2 as this is where the wind was blowing. This line was actually quite good (to start with) and produced a carp first drop followed by some F1s.
  
Famous goarse!
  
Unfortunately after half an hour this line died and I suffered what I can only call three ‘rock hard’ hours, during which time I could only manage 3 small F1s on the hybrid feeder, one more fish from the TK+4 line to the left and one F1 on the pole shallow at 13m – I also must’ve flicked my swinger rig to within 3” of the island a hundred times and never had a bite on it!
  
Luckily the last 90 minutes were pretty good as I caught a reasonable number of F1s at top kit plus one and a half sections toward the goarse bush on the deck with maggots – I did also lose quite a few foul-hookers but I guess that is par for the coarse when fishing in this fashion.
  
The final reckoning
  
In the end my fish went a level 44lb, good enough for fourth in section (6 points), just out of reach of Gary Evans next door on peg 5 (50-4-0) and Lee Martin on 19 (56lb), but quite away behind Chris Kitchen who won the section fishing the long pole to the island from peg 9 with 74-8-0. However I did take my first major scalp of the fortnight in the form of the mighty Grant Albutt who weighed 37-1-0 from peg 17!!!
  
Lovely jubbly!!!
  
As a footnote Bagger and myself paid our first visit to the famous Shanghai Express (also known as Lenny’s) Chinese restaurant in Newquay tonight – great food, loads of beer and half of the anglers from the festival seemed to be in there too!!!
  
Until next time ...
  
  

No comments:

Post a Comment