Wednesday 10 May 2017

10 May 2017, Twin Oaks (White Acres)

In a flash we’re already on to the third day of the 2017 Milo festival with Trelawney or Twin Oaks our destination for the day. With the wind blowing the ‘wrong way’ it seemed that pegs 2 or 36 on Twin Oaks would be the ones to draw so I had mixed feelings when Twin Oaks 18 appeared from the bag of dreams!
  
Twin Oaks 18 today
  
  
  
Having said that peg 18 is certainly a very, very good peg (though not quite as good as the infamous Twin Oaks 16) and being an end peg it provides lots of options – having plenty of time to set-up I put together a multitude of rods and top kits to cover the following lines:
  • Top kit plus three to the right, tight to the parallel bank in the corner
  • Top kit plus two to the left in 3’ of water
  • Top kit plus two directly in front at the bottom of the near shelf
  • 13m to the right, tight to the parallel bank
  • Shallow at 14.5 straight in front
  • A hybrid feeder clipped-up tight to a Doogal bush on the far side
  
(Normally I struggle to get one or two set-ups ready so having three hours between the draw and the all-in is definitely something I’m enjoying and could certainly get used to!!!)
  
Twin Oaks 18 with the infamous 16 in the background
  
My match essentially transitioned through 4 phases: The first hour of the match was decent with four big fish from four different lines (one each from the near margin line, the 3’ line, long pole shallow and feeder), followed by 90 minutes without being able to buy a bite anywhere! The peg came back to life at 14:30 and for ninety minutes I caught well swapping between the feeder and the bottom of the near shelf with hard pellets on the deck – then just as I thought I was in for a good last hour the fish deserted me again and I could only manage two more in the final sixty minutes, something I knew would cost me (see below)!
  
Painful reading!!!
  
If you look closely at the photo above you’ll see that I managed record a respectable 95-10-0 but contrived to be beaten by a 99-8-0, another 99-8-0, a 101-8-0, a 102-10-0 and a 113-4-0!!! This meant I ended-up sixth in section (4 points), another 7lb would’ve put me second and another 18lb would’ve meant a lake win – don’t you just love match fishing!!!
  
Until next time ...
  
  

No comments:

Post a Comment