Sunday 22 April 2018

22 April 2018, Main Lake (Reepham Fishery)

Third and final day of the Reepham spring festival and my home for the day was Main Lake peg 18, a swim on the far side of the lake – apparently this isn’t a noted swim but it is a fairly good one within the lower weight section.
   
All the gear ...
  
I had a little bit of room to my left but generally the pegging was quite tight as this is lake is essentially a square pond and I had Marcus Leek, Mick Warner and Claire ‘Bagger’ Hollis in a line to my left all sitting at right angles to the way I was facing. With it being hot and sunny again (and taking onboard some information from Reg Barrass who’d fished the same peg yesterday) I settled on a simple plan focussing on the long pole shallow with a throwaway line tight to the bank to my left at TK+3.
   
A lovely day again
   
As it happened my match was essentially split into three parts – the first two hours were spent mugging and resulted in 7 nice big carp; the third hour was biteless and I couldn’t muster anything on the pole, waggler or bomb; and the final two hours or so were spent slapping, tapping and feeding on the long pole shallow where I probably landed another 9 or 10 fish, some of which were mugged, though most pulled the float under without me realising that they were in the peg.
   
Final weigh of the week
   
In the end I didn’t try the margin line, so all of my fish were caught on the long pole shallow and weighed a total of 94-3-0, enough to win the section from Mick Warner (79-8-0) but miles behind Dale Stones who won the lake with the biggest weight of the week (156-14-0).

The podium
 
In the end I finished with 3 section wins from 3 but this was only good enough for second place as the awesome Nigel Lale put in three great performances to also secure 3 sections wins but with a higher total weight (271-4-0 to 237-8-0). Chris Parsons was third (5 points) and Dale Stones fourth (6 points but more weight than Gary Mallett). The planning for next year has started already!!!
   

No comments:

Post a Comment