Saturday 7 April 2018

07 April 2018, Middle Lake (Gold Valley)

Well it was back to Gold Valley today, this time for the open match on the Middle Lake. I was hoping for an end peg flyer or a nice pitch in amongst the sunken islands so I was mildly disappointed to see 68 in my hand, especially when I realised that this was the same peg than Will Raison drew 7 days ago and only returned 2-3-0!!!
   
Cheers!
   
Given the upturn in the weather I decided to start my match on the short pole, but after 15 biteless minutes it was time to chuck a hybrid feeder to the rope. I’d decided to give this 3 casts of 5 minutes each and was fearing the worst when the tip eventually pulled round during the final minute of the third cast, though a nice big (3lb) F1 was the culprit. A massive liner on the next cast and a smaller F1 on the cast after that were something of a false dawn so with nearly an hour gone and just 2 fish in the net I decided to give the short pole another 5 minutes before going out to 13m – as luck would have it the float dipped at 4 minutes and 59 seconds and this was a start of a good run of nice F1s that lasted for a couple of hours. Going into the fourth hour I lost my way somewhat trying to make a line to my left in shallower water work, before getting a run of fish at 13m (which was tricky given the increasing wind).

Juicy
   
For the final hour I dropped back to the short line again and was rewarded with another run of fish giving me a final total of 66 F1s for a surprising 82-12-0, just about good enough for second overall – Steve Tubb won the match with 86-2-0 and there were other weights of 81-3-0 and 79-14-0 so things were pretty close!!!

Happy days!
   

No comments:

Post a Comment