Monday 26 September 2016

26 September 2016, Bolingey (White Acres)

So after a nice sunny day at Boligney on Friday it was back to the same venue today for the first day of the five day 2016 Maver festival, though unfortunately the weather was somewhat different! Whilst Friday was a lovely warm, sunny day the weather forecast for today was basically for rain all day and unfortunately on this occasion Michael Fish’s prediction was 100% correct!!!
  
Roll-up, roll-up!
  
However, just like Friday I did manage to draw another good peg, this time number 10 – this is also on the back lake but is on the narrower, left-hand side, next door to peg 11 where Claire ‘Bagger’ Hollis smashed-out a section winning 130lb in the Milo festival back in May.

Tom Cole next door on 11
  
I started with a small feeder to the island (same gear as Friday) again and despite a late switch to the bomb and bread I finished the first hour fishless and biteless – not the flying start to the festival I was hoping for! There must’ve been fish in the area as Tom Cole next door on peg 11 was picking-off the odd fish on the bomb and bread, but concluding that either I wasn’t doing it right or that the fish were happier around the point of the island in front of Tom a switch to the pole was in order. (Funnily enough Tom and I drew next to each other in last year’s Maver festival on Bolingey, Tom sitting on 10 with myself on 11.)
  
Not much sun today!
  
I started on the 5m (top kit plus two) line and had a feeling it was going to be tricky as it was over 8’ deep here, a depth that in my experience makes foul-hookers all too common. This turned-out to be the case as I hooked 4 carp here but only landed 2, neither of which had the hook in the right place! However a line at the top of the near shelf in about 3’ was much better – in total I landed 5 good fish (including one of 16lb that looked much bigger) from this spot and only lost 2, neither of which felt obviously foul-hooked.
  
The right-hand margin
  
The rest of my catch came from the right-hand margin – as I was fishing at Bolingey it seemed rude not to fish the margins at some point, though in fairness I probably caught more from the 3’ line. In the end my fished weighed 105-11-0 putting me second in section and a mighty twenty-fourth out of 180 heading into day two …
  
  

No comments:

Post a Comment