Sunday 9 February 2014

09 February 2014, Furnace Lake (Furnace Lakes)

Following yet another week of wet and windy weather today’s forecast was actually pretty good for the time of year, so it was all systems go for only my second ever visit to Furnace Lakes …

Furnace Lakes overview

As I noted in my blog entry from my first visit to Furnace Lakes this time last year this is venue that was once the place to fish as lots of anglers were consistently smashing-out big bags of skimmers on the pole – however in recent years the fishing seems to have really dropped-off, with the corresponding match from last year being won with a modest 14 pounds of feeder caught skimmers.

Putting that to one side there were still prizes up for grabs and a total of 23 anglers from Godalming AS and Woking DAA were all eagerly anticipating a plumb draw and the walk of glory come the end of the match!

All the gear ...



Today’s dip into the bag of dreams saw number 20 attach itself to my lucky left hand – this translated to permanent peg 6 which is situated on the far bank (from the car park). Peg 1 is the swim next to the dam wall so I was towards the deeper end of the lake and I found myself on one of those long, narrow platforms that protrude into the lake where any items of tackle that drop-off of your side tray will never been seen again! I had good friend Dave for company to my right and for the third time in 2014 I had Sir Ken Cardwell on the next peg to my left – something as a coincidence as I’ve only fished five matches this year and on the other two Kenny was on the next peg but one!!!

Given the strong, gusty left to right wind blowing down the lake I decided to leave my pole and waggler rods in the bag, instead focussing on a single feeder rod. Given that sharp breeze and the long drop from the platform to the water I set my Daiwa Tournament Pro 10/11 tip rod at eleven feet – as we were fishing for skimmers I also plumped for the ultra-sensitive 1 ounce mega tip. As ever my rig was free-running, a Preston Feedabead slipped onto the line before tying a simple figure of eight knot into my 6lb Daiwa Sensor main line. The starting hooklength was the same 18 inches of 0.13 Guru N-Gauge and size 18 LWG used to good effect at Willow Park last week.

Looking right from peg 6 on Furnace Lake

Given the great bream fishing weather (mild, breezy and cloudy) and the light, chocolate brown colour of the water I decided to be bold from the off and kicked-off my match by spodding five Drennan XL feeders’ worth of Sonubaits F1 Dark groundbait, dead maggots/pinkies and soaked micros to my mark at 33 turns of my trusty TDR. I didn’t expect an immediate response, but after an hour without a single indication I was starting to get worried!!!

Luckily the start of the second hour saw a tiny twitch on the tip followed by a proper full ‘round and the first of four nice skimmers in four casts was winging its way into my waiting net. (All of these fish fell to a triple dead fluro pinkie hookbait.) As quickly as the fish arrived they disappeared, and before I knew it I was back to watching a motionless tip!!!

Some people cast longer shadows than others!

As sport had died-off following that superb run of 4 fish in a row during the second hour I decided to react quickly and at the start of the third hour I re-spodded with 7 small Drennan cage feeders’ worth of bait to try and get some fish back into my swim. (The feeder in question was the 20g version – it is tagged as ‘small’ but is actually quite big!)

Once again there was a  dearth of action for a reasonable period (45 minutes this time) but a sporadic 4 fish spread over the next 75 minutes saw me go into the fifth and final hour with a reasonable 8 skimmers – unfortunately I didn’t catch anything in that last 60 minutes so that was my lot!

Sir Ken Cardwell on the peg next door

As luck would have it (after what had been a completely dry match), just after packing-up the heavens opened and for about 5 minutes we were battered by an intense hail storm – however this didn’t stop the scalesmen doing their duties and here is the resulting overall top three:
  1. Andy Rogers (Godalming AS), 34-13-0
  2. Dave Steer (Woking DAA), 19-15-0
  3. Colin Underwood (G), 18-10-0

Section winners:
  • TBC (W), ??-??-??
  • Lee Simmons (G), 15-13-0
  • Phil Morris (G), 10-0-0

As you can see I’ve managed to lose track of one of the section winners – I know he was fishing for Woking DAA and weighed about 6lb from the tough area nearest the car park, so if you have the details ping me and I’ll update! Anyway well done to Andy Rogers for securing another convincing victory and congratulations to living legends Dave Steer and Colin Underwood for filling the remaining top 3 spots. (My 8 skimmers went a level 10 pounds and was enough to take the section.)

As per usual the wind dropped after the match!

Conclusions: hardly a bagging session, but enjoyable nonetheless as I’d like to think that I learned some lessons from last time – ‘spodding’ fairly heavily (in winter match terms) initially put the fish off but had a positive impact in the end. Dead (frozen then defrosted) fluro pinkies were definitely the best hookbait again – these really do seem to be the bait of the moment and they are something that I will be looking to carry-on using over the coming months on skimmer dominated waters.

Until next time ...

1 comment:

  1. I am visit your blog. And also visit more blogs But Your blog post is so informative for me and other visiter. Actually i found Idea Lottery winner related post
    Idea company lucky draw

    ReplyDelete