Monday 20 June 2016

20 June 2016, Trelawney (White Acres)

Well the weather so far this week can certainly be described as ‘mixed’! Bagger and myself spent a day in glorious sunshine on Jenny’s Lake on Saturday – I tried and failed to catch F1s on the long pole shallow but instead caught a nice mixed bag on maggots at 5m using the new Guru F1 maggot hooks and orange Daiwa Hydrolastic (which were both brilliant). However since then it has basically rained non-stop for 36 hours!!!
  
Take notice
  
We are down at White Acres again this week as Bagger will be fishing the Olde English Cider festival – this is the festival aimed at club anglers and is fished across Twin Oaks, Acron/Canal, Trewaters and Python. Whilst Bagger is doing that I’ll be fishing the Monday and Thursday residents matches, then hopefully the highlight of the week will be the Friday match at Bolingey which we’ll both be fishing (the festival is Monday to Thursday).
  
Trelawney, peg 7
  
  
  
My home for the day today would be Trelawney peg 7 – regular readers of this blog will know that this lake was the scene of a Milo festival first day disaster when I seriously blew-out from peg 20, so whilst I hadn’t drawn the best peg on the lake my main aim for the day was to build a decent weight and gain a decent section position.
  
The view to the right
  
I started my match on the bomb & bread to the central island – this is normally a good bet for an early carp, so when a couple of casts on this and a couple of casts with a mini Hybrid feeder failed to produce any pulls or liners my mood started to match the weather!
  
All the gear ...
  
In all fairness my main tactic today was going to be the long pole shallow for F1s so the tip rod was soon dispatched up the bank in favour of a jigga rig – personally I prefer the large Preston Innovations jigger floats and the rest of the set-up included white Hydrolastic, 0.15 Guru N-Gauge main line (18” above the float stop, a total of 2’ below it) and a 3” hooklength of 0.13 to a size 18 LWG. (The inline nature of the jigga meant that I could fish at depths between 4” and 2’ with this rig.)
  
Plenty of casters
  
For bait I had 2 pints of casters and 2 pints of White Acres 4mm pellets (which are slightly over-sized). I spent most of the day feeding casters but I’m still not totally convinced that they are better than pellets – for my money you get a much tighter grouping with pellets and they make much more noise when they hit the water, though I guess the ultimate question is whether or not F1s prefer the taste of casters!
  
Ironically on the day slapping the rig onto the surface of the water seemed more important that loose feeding, the favoured routine being: slap, slap, slap, try and feed, elastic out!
  
Jack Smart's pole
  
Sport wasn’t really that hectic and the F1s in my peg seemed to be the smaller silver coloured ones with only the occasional larger brown/gold specimen making an appearance. Despite this I still managed to put a decent 58-2-0 onto the scales – enough for sixth overall and second in section behind 63-10-0, yet again meaning I’d be one out of the money!!!
  
  1. Geoff Edwards (Guru), 167-12-0, Trelawney Peg 23
  2. Martin Holmes (Burt Baits), 79-12-0, Trelawney Peg 4
  3. John Fulford (Wigstone Tackle), 68-8-0, Trelawney Peg 19
  4. Colin England (Army Angling Federation), 64-2-0, Trelawney Peg 26
  5. Jack Smart (Legacy Tackle), 63-10-0, Trelawney Peg 8
  6. Phil Morris (All The Gear No Idea), 58-2-0, Trelawney Peg 7
  
Until next time …
  
  

No comments:

Post a Comment