Sunday 2 April 2017

02 April 2017, Long Lake (Reepham Fishery)

Going into today’s final day of the 3 day Reepham Fishery festival with two third in section scores I had a very slim chance of making the top 6 with a section win and some results going my way – however, whilst probably being the most interesting lake on the complex, the Long Lake is probably the peggiest so I was hardly over the moon when I drew a peg that had come last in section on the previous two days!!!
  
  
  
The peg itself (number 36) is a funny one as it faces at a 90 degree angle when compared to the other on the lake so I was sat facing peg 34 and the peg opposite was actually on my right! This gave me a long margin to the left with a post at 13m and a tree at 14.5m. Unfortunately the roots of the tree extended out into the lake so the closest I could get to it was 2-3’, the margin near the post was also full of roots and had quite a steep slope but I did find a decent spot about 1’ from the bank.
  
  
I started fishing next to the tree at 14.5m but sport was very slow – I eventually got a bite (on worm over corn) after 45 minutes and promptly lost it in a snag along the left margin! My second bite came after 2 hours but I did manage to land it (a 3lb carp)!
  
  
I then went a further two hours without a bite despite rotating between the post, the tree and a line into open water.
  
  
A few fish eventually turned-up for a short while and in a hectic spell I landed two nice carp (and lost another) in the space of ten minutes from the margin line next to the post. This gave me a final weight of 14-10-0, only gaining me three points as two others threw back!!!
  
  
As a result I ended-up twentieth out of 42 in the final standings, but more importantly had a great time and made some new friends! A big thanks to Rick and Kellie for organising a great event and well done to Jack Gill, Rob Walton and Daniel Brydon for filling the top three places.
  
  
  
  
  
  
Until next time ...
  
  

No comments:

Post a Comment