Saturday 1 April 2017

01 April 2017, Main Lake (Reepham Fishery)

Day two of the three day Reepham festival today and following yesterday’s so-so result I wasn’t the only angler in the queue for the draw looking for an out-and-out flyer! Unfortunately my luck was out once again as I drew peg 8 on the Main Lake – isn’t it funny how you can know the flyers on a lake you haven’t even fished yet?!?
  
Looking towards peg 10
  
  
  
Peg 8 is at least on the right side of the lake but is a pretty average peg in a section full of great feature pegs – number 8 offers access to more of the open water than most but is in the same section as peg 12 (a lovely peg with a long margin to the left that won the lake yesterday), peg 10 (not for the feint-hearted but it does offer a huge patch of stick-ups that holds loads of fish), peg 2 (a narrow peg but one that is next to the bridge across the link between Main and Long Lakes) and peg 27 (commonly known as ‘the best peg in Norfolk’). Damage limitation time then!
  
Nice day for it!
  
I started my match on the pellet waggler – Marcus next door on peg 10 actually hooked a fish on his pellet waggler rig (no bait) before the all-in and whenever the wind dropped and the sun came out it was obvious that there were lots of big fish cruising about in the middle of the lake. Remarkably after just 10 minutes I had two nice fish for 10-12lb in the onion bag – not a bad start when my target was only 50lb!!! Unfortunately the following 50 minutes were biteless so I also ended the first hour with two nice fish for 10-12lb ...
  
The view towards peg 2
  
After slowly coming to the conclusion that the fish cruising about in the middle of the lake near the surface were sunbathing and not feeding I decided a switch to the bomb with a wafter was in order – after 10 minutes with just a few minor line bites I switched to mini hybrid feeder and started to have a little tidy of my side tray. Looking back at my rod I noticed it was doubled-over – game on!!!
 
I spent the remainder of the match focusing on this method – bites were hardly instant, but by being patient and continuing to ping a few pellets over the top I was able to keep the fish coming at a reasonable rate. (I did try the waggler again from time to time, though this approach (and my short pole and margin lines) failed to produce any bites.)
  
Needed to put a few more in these!
  
In the end my bag of carp weighed 43-14-0, once again just about good enough for third in section after beating Marcus by a mere 7 ounces and Del Maggin on peg 6 by less than five pounds! (Reg Barrass won the section and lake from peg 2 with 81-3-0 (not a bad weight when you consider he landed his first fish with just two hours to go) and Steve ‘Widget’ Crowe was second with 66-9-0 from ‘the best peg in Norfolk’.)
  
Until next time ...
  
  

No comments:

Post a Comment