Monday 27 August 2012

27 August 2012, Richardson's Lake (Marsh Farm)

Today's match was organised by Godalming AS regular Roy Fiander and was a charity event in support of the local air ambulance with a good attendance of 30-40 anglers. (My understanding is that this will be a regular August bank holiday event so if you are in the Surrey/Hampshire/West Sussex area look out for it via the Apollo Marsh Farm tackle shop next year.)

Today's match organiser Roy Fiander

I drew peg 33 on Richardson's Lake at Marsh Farm, which is at the far end of the complex and has the left-hand end of one of the three islands on this lake to cast to at approximately 30m.

Peg 33 on Richardson's Lake

I caught approximately half of my weight today on the pellet feeder cast tight to the far bank trees - as the foliage on these trees hang right over the far margin at this time of year the closest you can get a feeder to the far bank is probably about 3 feet, but that isn't an issue as it is only inches deep tight to the bank and it is more like 2 feet deep where you can cast to.

Chianti pole rig used today

The other half of my catch was caught on a 4x12 Preston Chianti rig fished at top kit plus 4 with a 4mm expander pellet. (This rig was made-up on 0.11 Reflo Power into a hooklength of the same with a size 20 Tubertini 808 hook, shotting was shirt button style with 5 or 6 number 10 stotz.) As I was focusing on the feeder today I only fished this rig over one line straight in front of my peg (I normally use the same rig on two different lines - one at and angle to the left and a second at an angle to the right into the same depth of water).

Things started slowly on the pellet feeder, and my first fish actually came after switching to the pole after 45 minutes - in fact I had a nice run of crucians and the odd bonus tench over softened micro pellets to get me into the match. This line eventually died, but a switch back to the pellet feeder saw another run of fish (mainly tench).

As a last gamble I fed some groundbait on the pole line and this did lead to some more fish, as did a switch to the method feeder with groundbait. In the end my 30-13-0 saw me one out of the prizes, with 36lb winning the section and 42lb top overall.

Keith Arthur - the mystery raffle prize!

There was a presentation and raffle after the match with lots of great prizes - Bagger scooped the mystery envelope which happened to be a day out with Sky Sports' Keith Arthur!!! Well done to Roy for organising such a good event - maybe see you on this match next year?

No comments:

Post a Comment