Sunday 2 August 2015

02 August 2015, Old Lake (Willinghurst)

Today's outing was another another visit to Willinghurst for a cheeky open match on the Old Lake - and I've only gone and drawn myself a nice corner swim in peg one! In all fairness this peg didn't really produce on my previous visit to the venue in July, but it certainly looked inviting today with a lovely set of overhanging rushes running up and down the margin of the parallel bank to my right!!!

Welcome to the jungle!



As a result I decided to set-up two rods for fishing into the open water straight in front (a two thirds of an ounce Guru in-line lead mounted on an X-Safe arm and a pellet waggler) and a pellet feeder arrangement for chucking into the rushes.

Where's End Peg Billy?!?
 
I did also have the option of fishing the long pole across to a spot on the parallel bank but chose to ignore it as I thought that fishing the pellet feeder further along the bank would be more effective - though I did fish meat at top kit plus two in front at the bottom of the shelf, but never had a bite on it!!!
  
The joys of a corner peg!!!
   
In the end I managed 17 carp for 87 pounds exactly - 1 on the waggler, 5 on the pellet feeder into the rushes and the rest on the bomb into open water - and came nowhere!!!
  
Scaling down from 0.22 to 0.17 made a big difference
  
Despite not making the grade today I did uncover something rather interesting - whilst fishing the bomb I could hardly muster a bite on my first choice 0.22 hooklength but when I dropped down to 0.17 the tip kept on going 'round, something I still can't understand given the highly coloured water!!!
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment