Friday 26 June 2015

26 June 2015, Bolingey (White Acres)

One of the ‘first world problems’ you are faced with during any trip to White Acres is the lack of a 3G signal. Owing to the lack of access to the BBC Weather app unconfirmed rumours soon spread of monsoon-like weather for today – however when I woke-up and peered through the curtains all seemed well. The settled weather continued through the usual Bolingey rules briefing from Andy Dare and even beyond the two hour setting-up period – and then the heavens opened …
  
Once the monsoon passed it turned-out nice!!!
  
The Friday Bolingey match has become something of a fixture of our trips to White Acres and is certainly something I look forward to. A nice bacon roll, great fishing and a fish supper from the Port & Starboard on the way back to the lodge – what’s not to like? My home for the day was to be peg 40 – despite only having fished a handful of matches on Bolingey this is the second time I’ve drawn this (very average) peg, having drawn it on the 28th of June 2013 and ending-up with seventy-odd pounds caught mainly down the edge on worm over groundbait (a tactic now banned at Bolingey).
  
Looking left towards the famous bridge
  
  
  
My tactics for the day were to be relatively simple – left and right margins, 5m on the deck with the pole and a straight lead plus a full-depth waggler for fishing into the open water around the aerator. The first 90 minutes were pretty slow with just roach on the 5m line, nothing from either margin (despite the young lad on 41 connecting with one munter after another from his margins) and just three small carp on the bomb.
  
Another one bites the dust!!!
  
The next two hours however were pretty hectic – I caught well enough on the bomb, but the average stamp (2-3lb) was far too far below average meaning I was falling further and further behind my neighbour as every fish that hit his net looked like a ten or twelve pounder!!! Going into the final 90 minutes I decided to scrap the bomb line and to focus instead on rotating between my right margin, the 5m line and my left margin – unfortunately things never really happened and all I could manage was a good fish hooked squarely in the tail on an 8mm pellet on the 5m line and a small sample from the right margin on double-corn. This gave me 55-8-0, miles behind the lad on 41 (165lb), winner Pete Franklin (180 plus pounds) and my old mate Chris Couch on 43 (70 pounds) – who I now owe a pound to!!!
  
Until next time …
  
  

No comments:

Post a Comment