Monday 22 June 2015

22 June 2015, Pollawyn (White Acres)

What’s this – not another week at White Acres surely??? Whilst Bagger and 95 others take part in the keenly contested Olde English Cider festival I’ll be doing the residents matches and trying to sort a few things out on a couple of practice days.
  
Cosy!!!
  
After a good day on Acorn on Saturday, today saw my first match of the week – the Gold match, to be fished across Pollawyn and Trelawney by forty-odd anglers. My dip into the bag of dreams saw Pollawyn 21 attach itself to my trusty drawing hand – personally I’ve not fished this lake much recently and as I’ve never fished on any of the ‘point’ pegs I was going to be in for an interesting day!
  
Looking right, down one of the arms of Pollawyn
  
  
  
In all fairness 21 isn’t an out-and-out ‘point’ peg, instead it is effectively at the mouth of one of the arms directly opposite the end of one of the spits. As a result I had the point of the spit to cast to, as well as a decent looking margin to the right, some open water at 45 degrees to my left and a bit of room to fish the short pole directly in front.
  
The point of the spit
  
Having paid the price for being something of a one trick pony on the recent Garbolino Spring Classic I decided to set-up a range of options: a tip rod with 8lb Daiwa Sensor main line, a 24g Guru X-Safe method feeder and a range of hooklengths (but mainly 10cm of 0.22 N-Gauge into a 16 QM1 with a hair-rigged pellet band); a second tip rod with a one third of an ounce square Guru bomb with a large Guru float stop and 30cm of 0.19 to a 14 QM1 (and a hair-rigged pellet band); a pole line for skimmers at top kit plus two consisting of white Hydro, 0.15 main line, a 4x12 KC Carpa Force, 0.13 hooklength and a size 16 Guru LWG hook; and finally an edge rig with a 0.3g SconeZone v6 on 0.19 directly to a size 14 MWG and purple Hydro.
  
The open water line to the left
  
As per usual I tried and failed to catch a margin munter first off before feeding my top kit plus 2 pole line with 6mm meat and picking-up my method rod. The first 90 minutes (1030-1200) were hardly hectic, but regular pulls on the tip and a few dips on the float saw about 10lb of skimmers and a random F1 hit the net. The next hour (1200-1300) saw less fish but a similar weigh go into the net as I managed a carp from the open water line to the left on an 8mm pellet to go with a few more eight ounce skimmers. 1300-1430 saw yet another 10lb in the net, though by this time the skimmers had moved-off and most of that weight consisted of an immaculate 2lb barbell and some F1s on the bomb into open water.
  
An envelope at long last!!!
  
With an hour to go I potted 4 cups of my Old Ghost margin mix down the edge to my right at top kit plus one and switched back to the method feeder to the point of the spit – this saw a few pulls from 2-3lb carp at regular intervals. However there were lots of swirls (though not necessarily from big fish) down the edge so I had a bit of a quandary! In the end I managed a 4lb barbell and a 10lb carp from the edge on double worm, plus a few more small carp on the method, leaving me on 53-15-0 – less than five pounds from a top 6 finish but a nice section win nonetheless!!!
  
Until next time ...
  
  

No comments:

Post a Comment