Tuesday 29 September 2015

29 September 2015, Trewaters (White Acres)

Following yesterday’s first day of the 2015 Maver festival at White Acres, myself and the other 179 contestants were soon onto day two and once again looking for a flyer – as I am in A section day two meant either a match on Jenny’s or an offsite visit to Trewaters. Personally I would’ve been happy with either venue – Trewaters has in all fairness been pretty kind over the years (though most successes have been on the pellet feeder to the island, a tactic that seems much less reliable these days) and a day on Jenny’s would mean I could pop back to the lodge if the fishing was hard and I wanted a cup of tea!!!

A moody looking Trewaters!!!
  
As fate wold have it I was handed a second mediocre draw in a row – peg 39 on the bottom lake at Trewaters, a peg that only yielded a middle of the road 5 points yesterday and one that was increasingly unlikely to respond to my favoured pellet feeder tactics as every ounce of foliage has been trimmed from the island since my last visit in May!

B section pegging

   
   
My match started well with a small carp first cast on the hybrid feeder – however this was something of a false dawn as by the end of the first two hours I’d only added two more small carp and a tiny F1 (the F1 and one of the carp on the hybrid feeder, the other carp on the bomb) for a total of 8lb or so – though from what I could tell I wasn’t in fact that far behind the other anglers on my lake (and hence in my sub-section) as nobody was bagging and I was at most ten pounds behind.

A rare sight!
  
With nothing to lose I quickly set-up two jigga rigs for fishing shallow at 13m – however this was a complete waste of time as after no more than ten minutes I had to concede that the wind blowing at an angle of 90 degrees from the right was much too strong for me to be able to hold the pole without being blown in!!!

Sensible margin gear
  
A switch back to the bomb eventually led to another small carp from the island – however a quick dabble on a scratching rig with maggots at top kit plus one to my left in front of some reeds saw a few bits and a rogue F1 hit the net. Luckily this F1 was the start of a bit of a comeback as the final 90 minutes saw a decent run of F1s and carp from a bit further along the left margin on 6mm expanders over lose-fed 4mm hard pellets.
   
Three and nine, 39

One of the challenges I’ve never really been able to overcome previously at Trewaters is fishing the margins on what seems like a 45 degree slope that starts at water-level tight to the bank and keeps going until the bottom levels-out just before top kit plus two range. As I couldn’t find anything like a flat spot I simply set my float to a reasonable depth (15 inches) and plumbed-up so that on a tight line only half of the body of the float was visible above the water – this put me a couple of feet from the bank, hardly ideal but the best I could do.
 
The calm after the storm ...
 
My island and margin caught fished combined to give me a total of 33-3-0, mid-way in the section – beating four, but also being beaten by four, for five points. As a result I now have 9 points (out of a possible 18) in total – I’m not totally sure where that puts me on the leader board, but presumably somewhere near the halfway point. Twin Oaks or Trelawney tomorrow …
  
  

No comments:

Post a Comment