Tuesday 19 May 2015

19 May 2015, Trewaters (White Acres)

After yesterday's lucky escape it was off to the bottom lake at Trewaters today. Over the years I've had my fair share of success at this venue so I was hoping for a section win to move me into the top ten overall places in this year's Garbolino Spring Classic festival - how wrong could I be!!!
   
The usual pre-match excitement
   
The day started fairly well (if you exclude the soaking I received loading-up the car) when I drew peg 38 - not normally a flyer (and one that Simon Gould could only manage 15lb from yesterday) but I'd have the 'not drawn peg' to my left as 37 was left in the bag today. (Ideally this festival would've had 72 anglers, but due to last minute drop-outs there are only 70, meaning that two sections have 17 rather than 18 anglers.) I had hoped this would make a big difference as otherwise every peg was taken and I had the luxury of lots of room to my left into the bottom corner of the lake.
   
Peg 38 on the bottom lake at Trewaters
   
   
   
Before the start I decided to leave the pole in the bag and just set-up two identical pellet feeder rods with the same gear as yesterday - one clipped-up for fishing directly across to the island, the other for fishing further along the island towards where the angler on 37 would have been looking to cast.
   
Off to a slow start on the pellet feeder
   
Things started slowly once again - by the end of the second hour I'd only managed a 2lb F1 and two more 6 ounce samples, and I was already miles behind the chap to my right on peg 39 (Danny Mason) who had been catching fairly well on the tip from the off. Sport didn't improve through the third hour so with nothing to lose I set-up a top kit rig to fish for silvers with loose-fed maggots - this approach didn't add much to my total but at least I had the satisfaction of getting a few bites!!!

Looking along the bank to the right into the 40s

During this third hour I also set-up a margin rig for fishing tight to the bank to my left at top kit plus one - despite initially feeding with dead red maggots then several pots of my Old Ghost margin mix I could only induce a few swirls but no proper bites despite trying the line regularly until the end.


Unfortunately the feeder lines didn't come to life either and all I could muster before the end of the match were two carp out of the blue from along the island in front of peg 37 for a very disappointing 10-2-0 and fifth out of six in section, meaning I'm now down to 40th out of 72 overall and effectively now fishing open matches for the rest of the week!!!

Overall top 10 after day 2:
  1. Roy Penkethman, 12 points, 174-4-0
  2. Mike Halstead, 12 points, 128-0-0
  3. Adam Playford, 12 points, 119-9-0
  4. Andrew Salcome, 12 points, 59-6-0
  5. Harry Billing, 11 points, 161-6-0
  6. Kevin Howard, 11 points, 147-10-0
  7. Steve Evans, 11 points, 110-4-0
  8. Reece Hearn, 11 points, 105-0-0
  9. Brian Loader, 11 points, 96-0-0
  10. Matt Bunting, 11 points, 90-8-0
 
Until tomorrow ...
 
  

No comments:

Post a Comment