Sunday 29 March 2015

29 March 2015, Richardson's Lake (Marsh Farm)

If I was to be asked such a question, I’d say that the worst weather conditions for fishing at Marsh Farm would be those bright, sunny, still days – on that basis today’s match (with heavy showers and near 50mph winds) should’ve been a proper bag-up session!

Cracking weather forecast!
 
Despite predictions of terrible weather conditions today’s event (an inter-club match between Godalming AS and Woking DAA) saw an amazing turn-out of 44 anglers grace the banks of Richardson’s Lake at Marsh Farm – a fact even more amazing when you consider that the recent Wednesday matches have been won with weights not even close to 30 pounds!
 
Looking left from peg 8 on Richardson's
  
 
My dip into the bag of dreams saw peg 8 bubble to the surface – a pretty wide peg in the area just down from the favoured pegs directly in front of the tackle shop. (They are favoured as you can pick-up the Wi-Fi from the clubhouse and they’re a short walk from the shop if boredom really sets in!)
 
Hooklength components for the cage feeder
     
During the week I’d devised lovely plan consisting of fishing a pellet/cage feeder to the island, long pole to the left with loose fed maggots and long pole to the right with 4mm expander pellets over softened micro pellets/groundbait – however given the super-strong winds I decided to leave the pole in the bag at the start and instead went with just the two tip rods.
  
The first featured a 24g Guru pellet feeder and a 10cm hooklength of 0.19 N-Gauge to a size 16 QM1 with a hair-rigged pellet band; the second a 10g Drennan cage feeder with an additional 5g stick-on weight – I find the 10g feeder to be the perfect size for those hard days but I add an extra weight as I find 15g to be a much better for accurate casting. The hooklength for the cage feeder rig was 18 inches of 0.13 to a size 20 LWG – ideal for a single maggot and the prospect of some decent tench and skimmer bream.

Fish on

Like most Godalming AS club matches at Marsh Farm today’s competition was scheduled for 6 hours – though I’m not sure why as in my experience the fishing really tails-off here after 3 or 4 hours! I spent the first hour on the cage feeder 6-8m from the far bank – hopefully into the deeper water just before it starts to shelve-up before the shallow far margin. Despite dropping my feeder in roughly the same spot a number of times (no mean feat given the mega left to right wind that was blowing) my Old Ghost Green Alga and single dead white maggot could only tempt a single bite – a feisty one pound crucian that nearly dragged the rod in (serves me right for being on Facebook rather than paying attention).
  
Going into the second hour I decided to give the pellet feeder a go a little further up the shelf and almost instantly switched my 24g Guru model for a small 30g Preston effort in order to combat the ever increasing wind. Unfortunately no bites materialised on this, so as Ken Russell on the peg 9 was catching a few on the pole I decided to set-up a rig for fishing at top kit plus 3 – as far as I dared venture for fear of snapping a section or two!
  
Sit down you Muppet!
   
       
  
The pole also failed to yield any bites so by twelve thirty I was back on the cage feeder – just as I was starting to get a little despondent (peg 8 is too far from the clubhouse to get the Wi-Fi and the 3G signal around Milford is patchy) the tip pulled ‘round and a nice 3lb bream was soon in the net.
 
Even more surprisingly another one snapped-up my single dead white maggot hookbait next cast – game on! The following cast was fishless but a switch to a shorter 12 inch tail and double maggot saw a smaller specimen hit the landing net. Things then started to dry-up, but a switch back to an 18 inch tail eventually led to another skimmer, leaving me in a decent position going into the final two hours.
 
Duck!

As is often the case at Marsh Farm the final third of today’s match was absolute torture and I could only manage one more bite – a reasonable fish that inexplicably fell-off half way back to the bank. (As ever I was pretty sure this mistake was going to cost me come the final reckoning.) Well at least the weather improved – well it stopped raining for the last hour anyway!

The scores on the doors

As is often the case the Grim Reaper was soon at my peg with the scales and my crucian and four skimmers could only pull the dial ‘round to 9-11-0 (to be honest that’s a lie – the scales were those new digital ones that nobody trusts). Here the top scores on the day:
  1. Nick Stunt (Woking DAA), 17-13-0
  2. John Brownlie (W), 16-9-0
  3. Ian Covey (Godalming AS), 15-0-0
  4. Pete Worsfold (W), 14-3-0
  5. P Makins (W), 12-11-0

Section winners:
  • Ken Russell (G), 11-8-0
  • Adie Hoile (W), 12-10-0
  • G Whiting (W), 12-2-0
  • Colin (Legend) Underwood (G), 12-1-0

So congratulation to Nick Stunt on taking the spoils and to Woking DAA for picking-up most of the prizes!

All the gear ...

Conclusions: Well as predicted that final lost fish really cost me as it probably would’ve put me in front of Ken Russell and into the money as a default section winner – though as ever I’m the one saying that tales of lost fish in the car park after a match count for nothing! I could also claim that two further bites from decent bream would’ve won me the match – but if it was as simple as that why couldn’t I manage it?!?!?!

Until next time …

No comments:

Post a Comment