Sunday 7 April 2013

07 April 2013, Canal (More House Farm Fishery)

What a difference a few days make! After what seemed to be an eternity of bitingly cold north easterly winds I was sunbathing in the garden yesterday afternoon in what felt like a balmy 15 degrees Celsius! However an upshot of the change in the weather to clear skies and very light winds has led to some very severe overnight frosts and the temperature gauge in the car was reading a very chilly minus three on the way to East Sussex for the Supercup clash of the first round between (the aptly named) Jack Frost Tackle of Crawley and the mighty Godalming AS …

A frozen More House Farm Fishery

As a result of the fall in temperature overnight the lake (Canal at More House Farm Fishery) was covered in a thick layer of ice, so despite being April the icebreakers were called into action and in order to allow a decent amount of time to set-up the start time was pushed back by an hour to 1100. (At this point I’d like to say a big thank you to the chaps from Jack Frost Tackle for helping our guys with the clearing of swims – never has an icebreaker been thrown so accurately to a far margin!)

Peg 8 on Canal



Canal is a uniform rectangular lake approximately 16m wide with 20 pegs, so as our draw only saw two teams of 8 going head-to-head it was a simple case of pegging every platform from 2 to 17 with no gaps in between – of course this made the two end pegs the fancied draws (but more of that later).

My draw saw me pretty much in the middle of the lake on peg 8 – there are no visible features on this lake but I did seem to be in an area that was slightly wider than average and shipping-out my trusty old Garbolino 995 to 16m confirmed this as I was about 3m short of the far bank!

However this wasn’t an issue as I’d decided to target a depth of 3 feet and I found this exact depth at 16m slightly to the right of centre – apparently when this lake as dug it was created with a double shelf on the near and far margins, and whilst in some areas this has been eroded I personally found a nice flat area around my intended focal point. Given the cold start to the day and a target species of carp in the 1 to 3lb bracket I settled on a compromise of blue Hydrolastic, 0.13 Reflo Power main line into a hooklength of 0.11 and a size 20 Tubertini 808 – the float was a 4x12 KC Carpa Chimp.

I also set-up a second pole rig to fish down the track at 8m in 4 feet of water with a 0.1g Mo Brown Slim’o (same gear as the Chimp rig but a slightly lighter 0.10 hooklength) and two tip rods – one with a free running set-up for a straight lead or cage feeder, the other with a 24g Guru method feeder.

Posh sweetcorn today!

It may sound a little posh but today I’d be trying Tesco Finest sweetcorn for the first time – not because I’m a sucker for branding but because it was the cheapest on offer! In fact it was only a little over 40p a pack and I’m going back during the week to buy a case of it before the price goes up!!! The grains of corn are a fantastic texture for hooking and the colour is slightly washed-out (potentially not as obvious as the vibrant Jolly Green Giant), hopefully meaning the fish won’t be as suspicious as the bait immediately looks like it has been in the lake for days.

The usual suspects!

Other baits for today were half a pint of red maggots (live for a change), some Sonubaits Fin Perfect 4mm expanders and some 2mm hard pellets that were soaked for two and a half minutes before being drained and left to stand.

Looking right

11 o’clock soon came around and things were already starting to warm-up given the bright sunshine and still conditions, but despite this I decided to start very cautiously and carefully counted 6 maggots, 4 grains of corn and a pinch of 2mm pellets into my cupping kit before shipping-out to 16m and depositing accurately on my mark – the last thing you want to do (and believe me I’ve done it before) is bounce your pole off a roller a spill your feed into a random spot in your swim!

I shipped back and slipped a nice looking grain of corn onto the hook, whizzed back to 16m and settled into a rhythm – ten, nine, eight, seven, six, five, four, three, two, one, lift, drop, ten, nine, eight, seven, six, five, four, three, two, one, lift, drop, ten, nine, eight, seven, six, five, four, three, two, one …

And they're off!

Twenty minutes later the float disappeared from sight and after a few hairy moments involving the line cutting though sheets of ice I had a nice looking pound and a half ghostie in the net – not  a huge fish but when fishing a team event where blanks are very likely it’s great to get something in the net early doors! (At this point, with the exception of the two end pegs, very little had been caught but straight after I landed my fish the guy I was fishing against latched into an even bigger fish on the method – typical!)

I gave it another ten minutes without feeding, but nothing materialised so with half an hour gone I was feeding my second helping of 6 maggots, 4 grains of corn and a pinch of 2mm pellets – a further 30 minutes of lifting and dropping later the float dipped again and a second ghostie was in the net (the hookbait was two red maggots).

The ice didn't last long

This time I decided to feed straight away but unfortunately the following 25 minutes disappeared without an indication, so in order to try something different I cast a straight lead rig with an orange fluro boilie beyond my pole line to about 1m from the far bank. Things had really started to slow across the whole lake now so it was no surprise that I didn’t get an indication on this, nor after 20 minutes back on the pole or on the straight lead rig cast towards some reeds slightly to my left (which were now accessible now that the ice had melted).

By now it was about 1330 (the halfway point) so I thought it was a worth having a quick wonder along the bank to see where we stood in terms of the team event – by my estimation we were winning 3 sections, losing 4 and tying another (we had 3 blanks at this point, Jack Frost Tackle only had 2) which meant the score was probably 14-16 in Jack Frost Tackle’s favour. I did my best to encourage those that were blanking to catch even the tiniest of fish – but these things are as ever easier said than done, especially as we were fishing a lake with carp but completely devoid of silver fish!

Nice to see the sun again!

Funnily enough the little walkabout seemed to have done my swim the power of good as after shipping out the pole to 16m again (this time with a red Marukyu 6mm JPz on the hook) I missed a sharp bite almost immediately but made no mistake 2 minutes later and carp number three was in the net!

Unfortunately (despite fishing the original 16m line for another hour, opening a new 16m line to the left at 1445 and fishing the method for the final 45 minutes) I never had another bite – I wasn’t alone and I’m pretty sure the fish I caught just over the halfway point was the last one caught outside of the two end pegs!!!

So even though it was by now a gloriously sunny day I think most anglers were pleased when the ‘all out’ was called at 1600 as it had been a real struggle for bites and it was soon time for the all important weigh-in.

Bagger happy to be back in the money!

First to weigh was Claire ‘Bagger’ Hollis (Godalming AS) with an impressive 39-12-0 from peg 2 and my 5-0-0 was also enough for a section win, but 2 blanks meant that after the first 4 sections we were tying on 8 penalty points each. Unfortunately the final 4 sections only gave my Godalming AS team one section win against Jack Frost Tackle’s three, meaning the final score was 14-16 to Jack Frost Tackle (who also had a convincing weight advantage thanks to Mark Parrot’s titanic 64-14-0 from the far end peg).

The final reckoning

Final team score:

  1. Jack Frost Tackle, 14
  2. Godalming AS, 16 
Individual:

  1. Mark Parrot (JFT), 64-14-0
  2. Claire Hollis (GAS), 39-12-0
  3. Johnny Mott (JFT), 12-0-0
  4. Gary Daniels (JFT), 10-0-0
So that’s my Supercup over for another year. As ever it has been fun fishing a new venue and meeting some new faces – well done to Jack Frost Tackle and good luck in the next round!

Why not follow me on Twitter? @philip_r_morris

No comments:

Post a Comment