Tuesday 26 June 2012

26 June 2012, Trewaters (White Acres)

Today was a trip to Trewaters – this venue consists of two lakes and is a fifteen minute drive from White Acres along the A30 and a short stretch of the A39. Both lakes have a central island at 20-25m and about 20 pegs each. It’s a nice venue but can be very exposed to the wind – they knew what they were doing when they built the wind farm just along the road!!! Stocking is mainly proper carp (in the 2 to 4lb bracket) and F1s.

The bottom lake at Trewaters*

My draw saw me on peg 41 today – this is on the bottom of the two lakes, and as there were only 10 anglers on each lake we all had plenty of room. In fact I had a spare peg either side – if only the pegging was as generous on some of the venues I fish at home!

Another photo of Trewaters' bottom lake*

As with yesterday I fancied my peg for a few fish on the tip so I set-up my matching 10’ feeder rods with the same pellet feeders as the day before, and softened some 2mm White Acres pellets to go with my 6mm hard pellet and 8mm fluro pop-up hookbaits.

Pole rig components

As a back-up I also set-up some pole rigs – 2 4x10 KC Carpa Shelf rigs on 0.13 Reflo Power for fishing shallow (one rig was set to 18 inches deep the other 12 inches, but both had 18 inches above the float so I could effectively slap the float on the water), a 4x14 KC Carpa Chimp for fishing on the deck at 5m and a 4x10 Preston Dura Float Plus 6 for fishing the left and right margins.

One of the things I’d struggled with on my previous 2 visits to Trewaters was fishing effectively in the margins – the bank simply seems to slope at a 45 degree angle with no inkling of a shelf or flat spot to be found anywhere! As a result I simply decided to set my margin rig at 18 inches deep and plumbed-up left and right at top kit plus two sections to find where it was 17 inches deep.

Once again it was a relatively simple match – the bulk of my 49-14-0 fell to the 30g pellet feeder rig and I was fortunate enough to have a swim full of decent sized carp  as I didn’t see an F1 all day. I started to the island straight in front of me and caught well from the start – as bites dried-up I simply took some line out of the clip and cast a little further to my left or right, and every time I did so it led to a run of fish. (Unlike yesterday every single fish on the tip was caught on a 6mm hard pellet and I didn’t have a single bite on a boilie.)

At one point I tried fishing shallow on the pole – this did get me one bite but that fish fell-off on the way in so I quickly returned to the tip. I didn’t even try the 5m but I did have a few smaller fish (two carp, two tench and skimmer) on worm over groundbait from the right hand margin in the last hour.

Luckily my catch was enough for another section and lake win so I’ll be going into day three as one of the five anglers on maximum points! (The other section winners in my rotation were Ricky Lale (45-4-0), Kevin Sims (44-9-0) and Dave Parkinson (29-7-0).)

Following his massive 145-6-0 from Twin Oaks today Mo Brown is currently top of the overall leader board. The full top five is: 
  1. Mo Brown (10 points, 175-0-0)
  2. Will Sweeney (10 points, 147-6-0)
  3. Phil Morris (yours truly) (10 points, 95-14-0)
  4. Chris Haywood (10 points, 86-15-0)
  5. Ricky Lale (10 points, 68-6-0)
Why not follow me on Twitter? @philip_r_morris

*Photo courtesy of White Acres facebook page

No comments:

Post a Comment